MCCO COVID-19 Update: Monroe County DMVs Expand Remote Services for Boats, Motorcycles & Trailers
May 6, 2020 (Rochester, NY) Today, Monroe County Clerk Jamie Romeo announced an expansion to the remote services Monroe County DMVs can provide to residents. On March 31st, Monroe County DMVs began accepting and processing vehicle registrations and plate transfers through a mail-in option. This has now been extended to also include boats, motorcycles, and trailers.
On Monday, April 7, Governor Cuomo issued an Executive Order extending NY on Pause throughout the current month. Included in this Order was an extension of the mandated closure for all in-person transactions of both State and County-run Department of Motor Vehicles (DMVs). Currently, there is no re-open date set for Monroe County DMVs as additional guidance from the State is required.
“While we appreciate the desire for re-opening to help provide a sense of normalcy, we will not be re-opening Monroe County DMVs until all safety measures and policies are finalized.” Monroe County Clerk Jamie Romeo said. “Throughout this crisis, our office has continued to develop new initiatives in order to keep the vital services our office provides accessible to the public while encouraging physical distancing best practices.”
Since mid-March, the Monroe County Clerk’s Office has continued to provide ONLY the below protocols during the State of Emergency:
- Registering a Boat, Motorcycle or Trailer by Mail
- Registering a Vehicle or Transferring a Registration by Mail
- Plate Surrender Drop Off at County Office Building and Irondequoit DMV
- Commercial Automobile Dealer Work Drop Off
- 60 Online Transactions provided by NYS DMV
A few reminders:
- Under Gov. Cuomo's Executive Order, any driver's license, non-driver ID or vehicle registration set to expire on or after March 1, 2020 will be extended until further notice.
- The REAL ID requirements by the Federal Government has been extended to October 2021.
To stay up-to-date with all the new policies and procedures at the County Clerk’s Office, we encourage you to check our COVID19 Updates webpage.